SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bounty Lawsuit Filed
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Bounty Lawsuit Filed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
How can you call this overconfidence instead of incompetence or craziness?

Regards

Paulo
I tried putting myself in his shoes. He made 3 errors that day.

1.) He loaded the boat up with Navy sailors from a submarine in port and did a day sail around the harbor. The issue is the Bounty was not authorized to carry passengers. It's was Verboten. The ship was used strictly for shore based tours at ports of call. There would be consequences. This makes no sense.

2.) He made the decision to leave port that day. The Bounty was the only ship to go to sea as all others were battening down and preparing for the storm. This makes no sense.

3.) He also made the decision to head south directly into Hurricane Sandy, with the announced intention of changing his course to due west ahead of the storm until he closed with the coastline and then south again taking advantage of what would be strong northerly winds, putting him on a dead run. Why did he need this speed? Why did he think his leaky ship would make it? The NE quadrant of any hurricane in the Atlantic is the worse part of the storm. This makes no sense.

Think about it. this is a guy with decades of sea time. A guy who captained this tall ship for some 20 odd years. A guy who knew better. Why in the world would he do this?

We simply don't know. yet something had to occur to have him toss the experience of a lifetime at sea ending in the tragedy we are now discussing.

I don't think the guy was crazy, nor incompetent. Yet, he made 3 errors... that I know about...any of which would end his career....if he survived. Yet he was unconcerned about the consequences.

It sounds suicidal. There...I said it...

Was the Captain suffering from a terminal illness?
Was there a love triangle on board?
Was he going through personal loss? Divorce? Death of a child?
Was the Captain about to be fired?

I hope the investigation gets into this area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 05-12-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook