SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does anyone work on the Internet while sailing?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Does anyone work on the Internet while sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Great that it worked out for you, but the time of unsecured wireless is coming to an end, unless it is being offered as a service. But most places are now figuring out that this "free service" can now become a profit source I am sure most will dry up unless there is a coffee shop nearby.
Even then it is not free or open. As someone who has spent the last decade on the road, unfortunately not in a boat, I know about internet access. Every coffee shop and library and other free wifi will still have a code you need to get on. The number of wifi signals available from any locations has multiplied many times over the last few years, while the unsecured wifi signals have decreased.

If you can find a signal locally, you can swing by the coffee shop, buy a muffin and get the wifi code to use from the boat. I had a WIFI antenna about 4 years ago and it helped me pull in a few more signals but I think I might have been able to reach a few doors away, 7 miles is impressive. I guess if you could get all the signals for a 7 mile radius, you might have a 1000 wifi signals to find one un-secured signal.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook