SailNet Community - View Single Post - A basic ships LogBook
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 05-12-2013
Minnewaska

Re: A basic ships LogBook

I made a simple form in an excel spreadsheet with two lines per entry.

Line 1 = Date, time, speed, speed over ground, heading, course over ground, wind, depth, lat/long, sea height, barometer, gen weather description (ie rain, clear skies, etc)

Line 2 = crew, comments (which I use for general from/to identification)

For a day sail, I may skip most and only record the date, the crew and the destination.

For a passage, I may record all info every hour or when there is a significant change, like it started raining or a shift changed.

I can get 10 entries on a landscape piece of 8/11 paper. I hole punch a dozen pages and put them in a tab in a 1" notebook. The same notebook has sections to record repair, needed supplies, upgrades I've thought of, maintenance tasks and dates and has my winterization checklist.

All could easily be on a screen too, but the simplicity of the soft covered, 1" notebook works best for me. I even printed a stock photo of the side view of our hull and slipped it into the cover with the name of our vessel. Actually, I just realized, its the same photo I used in my sig below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome