SailNet Community - View Single Post - A basic ships LogBook
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: A basic ships LogBook

I made a simple form in an excel spreadsheet with two lines per entry.

Line 1 = Date, time, speed, speed over ground, heading, course over ground, wind, depth, lat/long, sea height, barometer, gen weather description (ie rain, clear skies, etc)

Line 2 = crew, comments (which I use for general from/to identification)

For a day sail, I may skip most and only record the date, the crew and the destination.

For a passage, I may record all info every hour or when there is a significant change, like it started raining or a shift changed.

I can get 10 entries on a landscape piece of 8/11 paper. I hole punch a dozen pages and put them in a tab in a 1" notebook. The same notebook has sections to record repair, needed supplies, upgrades I've thought of, maintenance tasks and dates and has my winterization checklist.

All could easily be on a screen too, but the simplicity of the soft covered, 1" notebook works best for me. I even printed a stock photo of the side view of our hull and slipped it into the cover with the name of our vessel. Actually, I just realized, its the same photo I used in my sig below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook