SailNet Community - View Single Post - Current Status of Annisquam River Bridges
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013

klem is on a distinguished road
Current Status of Annisquam River Bridges

Does anyone have any beta on the current state of the bridges in the Annisquam? I went through there for the first time of the season today and it was definitely the most nerve wracking trip that I have ever taken through there.

The blynman bridge did not fully open and I probably had 2' on either side of my shrouds to the bridge. Given the amount of current in there, it was a miracle that I didn't hang up on the bridge. The boat behind me was pretty upset as well. I can't seem to find a phone number for the bridge so I am thinking of trying the Gloucester harbormaster and seeing if they know. This could simply be an operating trying to save time or there might be something that is wrong.

The 128 bridge had 6 cables hanging down about 15' apart and probably 25' long. It was not difficult to put the mast between the cables but they were swaying around a bit and if there had been more wind, I could not have done it. They appear to be leftover from construction.

I am hoping that someone knows a bit more about what is going on. For others who don't, please be aware that any sailboat of size would have really struggled to make it through there safely today.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook