SailNet Community - View Single Post - AC 72 crashes, 1 dead
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: AC 72 crashes, 1 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Are you kidding me? Name calling those that would suggest it should be safer? Someone lost their loved one to a sport that didn't give him any choice whatsoever. This is evidenced by all those that are so enamored by the idea of being aboard an AC racer and going fast, they would accept whatever risk presented. Give his family a call and let them know you think we're namby pambys, if you have the power of your conviction.

Yes, it should be safer. That doesn't require an absolute. I fully reject that the paid crew has any more choice than a factory worker in a dangerous factory. These men aspire to be AC racing crew and have no choice but to accept whatever risk the previous winner decides the next race is going to take. Mitigating this risk to a level where it's not so obvious that people with continue to be hurt or killed is human. There is no need to return to genteel days to do it.

'm sure you did your NASCAR laps without a helmet or any other safety features, because you're no namby pamby.

An emotional outburst followed by a personal chiding , ridiculing, or lecturing...getting to be the norm Minnie. Your replies to me in posts seem personal as of late and not necessary. Please refrain

I haven't seen anyone of the AC racers or crews calling for any mega increased safety measures or blame the sport for the lack thereof. The factory worker analogy doesn't make sense. The Skippers and trimmers are compensated at over six figures from what I have been led to believe. That doesn't really make a difference on Safety really. It is inherently a dangerous venture

That doesn't mean I said to ignore the subject. It is an dangerous sport and greater risks are assumed if one participates. Loads on sails, speed pushing to the limit are art of this.

You illustration of going for NO safety measures is a bit of an overreaction to my post.

I didn't say go without helmets or that no safety measures should be employed and used. Of course they should. They should make the AC racers as safe as possible and employee all current measures to do that.
An illustration of that is just what they have done having them wear the extra oxygen which was a results of what they learned in a previous crash. I believed they are committed to continually improve personal safety. In NASCAR it took them years to use the HANS device and employ safer barriers. It took years to used safer fuel cells, roof flaps to prevent rollovers and restrictor plates at the Superspeedways/

This is an evolving sport and boat testing the limits is not unlike other sports doing the same It is the cutting edge of its technology and innovations as well as safety may be spun off of it just as it is in NASCAR cars.

While I too appreciate the beauty of the older mono-hulls and have sailed on Australia II in Maui, Stars and Stripes in both San Diego and in Narraganset Bay, I know that the AC races have utilized many differing formulas for their competition dating back many years, Changing the Americas Cup calling for it to go back to the genteel days of the 12 meter boats will not stop the continued development of these super cats.

As I mentioned before in this and other posts where there was a loss of life, human life is precious. A member of our sailing community even closer to home.

God bless Andrew Simpson and his family. May he find fair winds and following seas in heaven

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook