SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best spotlight?
Thread: Best spotlight?
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 05-13-2013 Thread Starter
okapi3

Re: Best spotlight?

Thank you. Now that I have narrowed it down to LED it will be much easier. I want to avoid any more power cords and chargers on my boat if possible, so the battery versions are looking good. I am not finding any floating flashlights with the type of power I want. right now I am considering two 850 lumen LED flashlights that run on special batteries--4 CR125s or 2 rechargable 18650s--, the NiteCore MT40 and the JetBeam BC40. Reasonably priced at $65-70. Evidently they are extraordinarily bright. In one review video they compared the brightness with a halogen Maglight and it was literally like night and day (the BC40 being day and the Maglight night). Waterproof to one meter and very durable. (btw, I wonder if the rapid strobe feature on some of these high intensity LED flashlights might double as a weapon for incapacitating pirates.) I'm still looking, but here are links to these two:

Going Gear - NiteCore Multi Task Series MT40 860 Lumen 4 x CR123 / 2 x 18650 CREE XM-L U2 LED Flashlight

Going Gear - JetBeam BC40 XM-L 830 Lumen Flashlight

Paul Cooper
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome