SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best spotlight?
Thread: Best spotlight?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best spotlight?

Thank you. Now that I have narrowed it down to LED it will be much easier. I want to avoid any more power cords and chargers on my boat if possible, so the battery versions are looking good. I am not finding any floating flashlights with the type of power I want. right now I am considering two 850 lumen LED flashlights that run on special batteries--4 CR125s or 2 rechargable 18650s--, the NiteCore MT40 and the JetBeam BC40. Reasonably priced at $65-70. Evidently they are extraordinarily bright. In one review video they compared the brightness with a halogen Maglight and it was literally like night and day (the BC40 being day and the Maglight night). Waterproof to one meter and very durable. (btw, I wonder if the rapid strobe feature on some of these high intensity LED flashlights might double as a weapon for incapacitating pirates.) I'm still looking, but here are links to these two:

Going Gear - NiteCore Multi Task Series MT40 860 Lumen 4 x CR123 / 2 x 18650 CREE XM-L U2 LED Flashlight

Going Gear - JetBeam BC40 XM-L 830 Lumen Flashlight
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook