SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to Sailnet
Thread: New to Sailnet
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: New to Sailnet

Welcome aboard! I had a 1984 C25 swing keel, standard rig. It was a great boat - I paid $1000 for it. If you can find one, given the waters you'll be in, I'd suggest going with the wing keel over the swing keel. They don't draw much more than the swinger does when the keel is in the up position, and you don't have to worry about 1500 lbs of steel crashing down if the lifting cable fails.

Online, you'll see people praise the Catalinas and people pan them. In the end, in my incredibly inexperienced and biased eye, they are decent boats, good for what most people will do most often with them (i.e., day sails/overnights/weekends/occasional short cruises close-ish to shore). They aren't the sturdiest boats, and they aren't the prettiest boats either, but they are good for their intended purpose.

I think the Seawards are made due East of you. I don't know what they go for used, but the look nice.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook