SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
i think that the results of the previous crash caused them to include the extra oxygen in this go around. Like professional bike racing there will be a point at which they can not do much more. The risk will be inherent to the sport.
I agree but not yet, I mean, that cannot be done more. Obviously these boats and the accidents that can happen introduces new problems to safety.

For example on this accident the sailors fell forward and the boat turned over them. It seems to me that one of the things that can have contributed to this tragedy is the auto-inflating PDF.

If the sailor had not an auto inflating PDF eventually he could have dived under the boat and swim to safety...but with a PDF pining him against the overturned boat? How could he dive? He had to get ride of the PDF and that is not easy being pushed against a boat over his head.

Of course, this is speculation and I don't know if that was the case but it is possible that they come to the conclusion that for this type of boat makes more sense a manual activated PDF.

Of course I am assuming they have auto inflating PDFs and did not yet arrived yet at this conclusion.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook