SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best spotlight?
Thread: Best spotlight?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best spotlight?

Look at foursevens.com and fenix-store.com.

Generally don't buy a flashlight from normal channels as you'll be getting really outdated technology and generally avoid the usual marine spotlight type lights.

I'd go with a handheld because a modern AA handheld LED can throw more light than the old spotlights.

No matter what you get, make sure it rates its output in lumens which is a measurement of total light volume and the only number that can easily be compared between lights.

As examples foursevens has a quark 2 AA light that can do 280 lumen. On the extreme end they have one using cr123 batteries that puts out 1200 lumen (this is an absurd amount of light)

Fenix has a nice 4aa outdoor light that puts out 520 lumen max (ld41, 76$). I'd buy this if I needed a light right now.

All these lights have regulated outputs with variable output and an SOS mode. For comparison the old 4D maglight put out only 120 lumens.

EDIT: Oh didn't see your second post. Looks like you mostly concluded this. Nitecore is a good brand, I've had one of them before. But take a look at the 4AA Fenix. I think AA is a pretty big advantage.

Last edited by asdf38; 05-14-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook