SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013

sailwatcher is on a distinguished road
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

The thread has gotten long. I was up in Hollywood when this horrible accident occurred to my favorite team. But I'll chime in briefly anyhow.

I do like the look of the boats. And it took me a while to be onboard with cats in this AC. However, I'd kind of rather see a boat of similar size to what you see in your local harbor, cat or mono. Watching these boats, I feel like the sail is way too large for the platform of the boat.

I'm not a boater nor a design engineer. Just a new boat racing fan who watched the RC44's in my home port of San Diego and was thenceforth hooked. But I wonder about lengthening the platform maybe 1.5x, and shortening the sail system by maybe a third. Not sure how feasable all that is, but the sail is way too tall.

I don't dislike one-design racing (obviously), but I do think to some extent, the design has been part of the AC and should remain so. But, safety should be part of the design. You won't ever get the danger down to zero and still have good racing, but you can make things better.

As much as I have looked forward to AC34 going on as scheduled this year, I might be OK for the relevant people to call for a completely new design, thus delaying it into the same time next year. But I haven't really read everything related to this conversation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook