SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
I personally prefer the more contemporary, beamier designs, with twin rudders and hard chines carried from amidships aft to the transom. Also prefer open transom and tiller / twin wheels to the single massive "destroyer" wheel of the J 109, which pretty much blocks access to the back of the boat, creating a less-than-optimal cruising experience (an issue with the J 105, as well, but not as big a deal for the 109 or 105 in closed-transom configuration).
Regarding beamier designs...sometimes appearances are deceiving, the A35 has a beam close to the one of the J109, the big difference is the beam brought aft. A really beamy boat for that size would be the Pogo 10.50 that has not only the beam brought back but also almost more 40cm of beam.

Regarding types of hulls....I like the two modern trends, with almost all beam brought aft and the more moderated trend that the J111 is an example. That do not mean that beamier boats cannot follow the same trend, some do. Look for instance to the beautiful IY 13.98 and you will find a two dimensional shape very similar to the one of the J111:

There are more modern boats going that way, almost all Italians (Grand Soleil, Solaris and so on). Yes probably they are a bit less adapted to solo sailing but I think that is more relevant specially in what regards smaller boats (less stable) or very light and fast boats designed to plan easily downwind and those are very rare among performance cruisers. The J 111 trend will have a slightly better upwind performance and will be more tricky to sail downwind very fast. But all is relative....and I really like the two trends

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-13-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook