SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
If I was younger, skinnier and a better sailor I would take the risk for an opportunity to sail one of these boats.
I would have too. But then again when I was younger, I did not think I could die.

When in my twenties, once was sailing in 50+ knots in the Tasman Sea. Tried to put up a storm jib on the bow of an 85 foot motor sail to try to stabilize her in the 30 foot plus seas. I had no life jacket, no harness, nothin but my hands. While I was holding the sail down by sitting on it, and waiting for partner to hoist sail, a wave washed over the deck with 3 feet of green water and carried me 15 feet across the deck and into a stanchion where I was stopped from going overboard. I hit my head and split open my ear lobe. The crew in the pilot house was a little concerned when they lost sight of me for several seconds. We went ahead and hoisted the sail, the 1-inch down haul line broke and the sail went to the top of the mast. We finally got the sail down and called it a day. I did not realize how much risk we were taking without proper equipment and training. At the time, I thought nothing of it- too stupid to know better...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook