SailNet Community - View Single Post - Water purification
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Water purification

A watermaker should provide perfectly good drinking water with no further filtering necessary.

Water from a dock is entirely dependent on the quality of the water. I also use one of coconut shell carbon filters, but they are really only good for removing things like chlorine or other bad tastes. They are nearly useless on bacteria, for example. That is not a concern for us, as our dock is supplied by municipally treated water. I'm more interested in getting the chlorine out. Still, we don't drink it, we only cook with it or shower and brush teeth.

If you're really concerned about bacteria, you can buy tablet to disinfect it, which I really dislike doing. You can also get a separate water filter pump, where you can purify the water that you intend to drink, rather than everything in the tank. These are sold in camping stores so that hikers can filter drinking water out of a dirty puddle. I've done it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook