SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help pinpointing a leak
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road
Help pinpointing a leak

I've attached pictures to help my non-expert description of what i'm seeing.

I have a 1984 C&C 35MKIII that seems to have leak below the waterline. I purchased the boat in the fall and never saw it on the water until last Thursday, on Saturday I delivered about 20 miles to it's home on a mooring in Lake Michigan.

The boat does not have an electric bilge pump - a new setup to me. I noticed that bilge had filled quite a bit in just 24 hours after pumping it out manually without running the engine or any rain. The engine compartment and all compartments aft of the where the deep part of the sump starts are bone dry. In other words, water was leaking out of that hole without, apparently, coming from the compartment just on the other side of that (stringer, bulkhead, floor?? not sure what it's called). On closer inspection I noticed that there is a cavity in that (I'll call it stringer) that is filling with water and then spilling over into the forward section and down into the sump. Circled in the second pic. In the third pic I have shaded where the water appears to fill up until it spills out forward into the sump. I was able to stick a sponge in the channel, down into the cavity and soak up a lot of water. I can't reach the bottom of the cavity with my finger. It take only several minutes before the water fills back to the hole and starts dripping down into the sump.

I need to do some more work before I can determine a helpful volume of water that is entering the sump within 24 hours, but I'm of the impression that a boat that is leaking below the waterline is sinking... Any thoughts on where this water is coming from??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user214492_pic2861_1368495300.jpg (21.7 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg user214492_pic2860_1368495284.jpg (23.1 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg user214492_pic2859_1368495266.jpg (21.7 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by hillenme; 05-13-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook