SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
... but I say in for a penny - in for a pound, and the fact that its blowing 35 with 9-10 swell is no reason to cancel the event. In fact- maybe NOT canceling races is all the encouragement teams will need to more well rounded designs. Sure- I want to see big ass cats go twice the wind speed- but it would be even cooler if after a pitchpole or capsize they got out and ha to right the boat and keep sailing.
Well, I think there quickly becomes a point where that sort of argument becomes silly - akin to suggesting that NASCAR and IndyCar should be running on ovals in the rain... If you believe the boats should be capable of racing in the sort of conditions you describe, then perhaps the course they sail should be changed... Send them outside the Golden Gate to the Farallones, and the boats would be designed to handle the anticipated conditions...

These AC boats are as close as we have to an F1 car on the water... They are intended for a pretty specific purpose and conditions, and are not 'convertible' to be able to run the Paris-Dakar Rally after something as simple as a ride-height adjustment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
I would also think that all those griping about it being nothing more than an ego stroke for billionaires would enjoy seeing Ellison and company, as well as the other teams, told- "hey- you got the boat you wanted in the venue you wanted- now deal with it"
Well, I tend to doubt many critics of what the AC has become "enjoyed" seeing the tragedy that transpired last week...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-14-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook