SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007

snider is on a distinguished road
Cool Good plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kananumpua
So I plan on working for at least 5 years after I graduate to build up my “kitty” because I would rather err on the safe side as far as the financial aspect goes as well as give myself some more time to research, learn, test and retry.
You sound like me five years ago...lol. I did the same with school because I always wanted to have something solid to fall back on. Four more months until graduation...woohooo! Then It's, buy a boat, outfit for a year, and off I go! It has flown buy, and I have spent almost every day since researching boats and reading books. Between semesters and on the weekends I've been sailing as much as possible. Started out racing every other weekend to, and you're right, what a great crash course in sailing. From the people I've met racing have come some great offshore opportunities, deliveries up and down the coast, Daytona-Charleston race and it's looking like I've got a ride for Charleston-Bermuda this year. I'm glad I waited, It has only solidified the decision to liveaboard and cruise. It's funny, five years ago when I told everyone my plan to quit a well paying job to go back to school so I could by a boat to live on and cruise. No one belived me, and everyone was skeptical, even my Dad, he thougth I was crazy! He sure is proud now, and everyone else is envious. Funny how it worked out. Good Luck, Brandon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook