SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

As Bob said I have gotten a bit side tracked. But for those of you coming in late, here is what happened in the previous episodes. Wolfenzee owns a slighltly modified version of an Atkins design called a 'Captain Cicero'. He had asked Bob Perry if Bob thought that his boat could be improved with a fin keel. Bob said that he and/or I could come up with what that might look like. Somewhere up the thread there is an image of that design. Along with the fin keel, the boat also got a slighly larger rig. It changed a little above the waterline but not very much.

But then the conversation swung to what would happen if that design was modernized and adapted to a more current tastes in offshore cruisers, conceptually as if someone like Pacific Seacraft wanted to produce an updated design to replace their 34. And that design has been evolving for several weeks now. Here are the drawings of this more mainsteam version of a somewhat conservative offshore cruiser.

Also included is an interior layout for the first time. While I had some ideas about how the boat might layout, in the end, it turned out that the portlight had to move a little forward and the shroud attachment moved a little aft.

photo CompletesetR-35-14-13_Page_1_zpse46dffed.jpg

photo CompletesetR-35-14-13_Page_2_zps23b42e6f.jpg

photo CompletesetR-35-14-13_Page_3_zpsd37afe88.jpg

This would not necessarily be a boat that Wolf would find appealing. But if he sailed on her, he would find her motion recognizable, and this version would be more stable, easier to handle and much faster. The interior would also be more roomy and would have full headroom wherever there was deck.

As to the bowsprit comment, I have owned boats which had headsails tacked on a bowprit. I know that there are lots of folks who don't mind those things. But frankly, other than spinnakers, if a sail needs to be peeled in heavy weather, I do not like being perched out there doing so. Since the original design did not have a sprit, I felt like we had 'permission' not to add one here.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-16-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook