SailNet Community - View Single Post - Questions about bulkhead replacement
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013

alongslowdrift is on a distinguished road
Questions about bulkhead replacement

So, since the snow melted here in Idaho, I've been happily working on my Balboa26. This season I have focused on the interior. So far I have refinished the teak trim with a hell of a lot of sanding and 3 coats of Cetol Marine Teak finish. The locker and forecabin doors got 3 coats mahogany stain and are ready for a few coats of varnish. I painted the cabin with a one part polyurethane called EasyPoxy.

I'm really happy with how everything is turning out. This is the first time
I've ever worked on a boat and I'm loving seeing my Balboa return to her former glory.

On the to do list is

-to install carpet on the ceiling, the sides of the v-berth and along the
deepest part of of the sides behind the gallery railing (My nautical terminology
is failing me here).

-replace the bulkheads

-install a new electrical system and LED lights.

My question for you knowledgeable folks is about the flex of the hull affecting
the bulkhead replacement. The hull shape has distorted without the support of the old bulkheads (they are all removed). The support under the mast, which is now refinished and looking beautiful, is a full two inches too long to fit back into where it was.

I cut the new bulkheads with Marine grade AB plywood using the old shapes as templates. When and if I get them to fit, I will cover them with a mahogany veneer. The problem I'm running into is that, though the new bulkheads are a very close match to the old ones, they are not even a close fit inside the hull.

Is it safe for me to use a jack to push up the deck in order to get the right
fit? Is the fact that the boat is on a trailer going to distort the shape of
the hull differently than when it's in the water? Or do I need to stray from
the old templates that may have been over-sized and continue trying to shape the new bulkheads to fit?

Excuse the long post. Im trying to include as much relevant info as possible.
Thanks!

Clay
Kuna, ID
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook