SailNet Community - View Single Post - Man over board
Thread: Man over board
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: Man over board

I have had only one event and that was to circle back with the life sling extended on a long line to pick up my 16 year old son who was concious, alert, and strong. After taking the line and waiting for the sling to arrive at his position, he was able to place the sling under his arms while we headed up into irons. I was prepared to raise him with the mizzen halyard, but he was able to grab the rail and hoist himself on board before I could rig the halyard to lift him. Adrenaline seems to be a factor for a young man's ability or maybe for all of us to a point. I still hope that my plans would have been suitable for my own retrieval or others that might be impaired by injury or age. There's no elimination of risk, but, I agree, - stay on the boat! I would add another point for the helmsman at the moment that one of the crew is seen going overboard. The best response in a hard turn of the wheel to the side of the fall. It's far better to turn initially so that the stern is moved away from the person at risk. Turn to the falling crew member and save him from the rudder and prop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook