SailNet Community - View Single Post - 10' Porta Boat For Dinghy?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013

marcberoz is on a distinguished road
Re: 10' Porta Boat For Dinghy?

I used an 8' porta bote as a dingy for my 26' Nonsuch. It worked fine. We were able to transport 2 people, 2 folding bikes, oars, life jackets, gas tank, garbage, 5 gallon water container and other assorted stuff. It was tight but we got it all to fit. Ride was pretty dry. Used a 3.5 hp Nissan. With just me on board, I could keep the bote on a plane and steer just but leaning. Lots of fun! I did disassemble it on occasion when the weather was forecast to be snotty but mostly it lived in the water when underway. The 1st year I pulled it and found that it really slowed me down. I was alway adjusting the tow line so it wouldn't hunt. For the 3 following years I put the stern of the porta bote on the swim platform (kept a fender between the 2 transoms) and dragged the porta bote with its nose in the water. It towed very well this way and once we started doing this, we never disassembled it during the season. As far as rowing goes, I found that the sides flexed too much when I tried to put some power into my strokes. I ended up bolting on a strip of luan about 26" long and 3 inches wide at the gunnel to stiffen things up a bit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook