SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring with changing tides and wind
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchoring with changing tides and wind

Yeah anchoring is a bit difficult. I am swinging in circles like I thought I would but I've got a 22 pound Bruce, 20-25 feet of chain a good shackle and nice new rope. 180 feet. So with the chain 200 feet total. It's really holding well so far.

The hardest part is getting my boat to point the way I want it to. When i get ready to set. Say I want to face north. Well by the time I am at tr bow I very like could have swung any direction. Is there anything I can do to keep control over the direction I set?

So I have the engine going. Face north. Chain is laid out already on deck. If there is win to blow me back I let it out slowly until the desired scope is out. Then I motor back on it. But if there isn't wind an there often isn't, or if the current wants me to face a different direction. Then I have more trouble and sometimes let out the anchor just till I can feel it touch. The. I run back and lash the tiller and put it in slow reverse. Then back to the bow and let it out. But it wanders. My boats loves no do its own thing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook