SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does this sound like a boat you know?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
labatt-
"- Tall bulkheads (i.e. not rounded openings)
- Doors that go to the floor (i.e. not rounded openings at the bottom)"

I'd argue that point. On a world cruiser, especially one that size, having watertight bulkheads could save your lives. There's been quite a lot of talk among the global races over the past decade, all trending to requiring multiple watertight bulkheads because collisions (whales, cargo cubes, buoys, boats) do happen, and closing a bulkhead on a boat that size can be the option that saves the boat. Not to mention, the crew.
I'd be OK if they were actually watertight. We looked at a number of boats at the Annapolis show where they had rounded doors in the bulkheads between cabins yet they weren't watertight - they were just for show. Useless and just a trap to stub your toes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Sounds like you want one of Steve Dashew's boats. If he still makes anything under a million, he might also know when one comes back on the market as the owners move up.
Wow! Those are some really cool boats. I love the thought that went into them. I think I'll reach out and see what smaller models of their sailing vessels they made. Thanks for the tip.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook