SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, here's some more 'sour grapes' from two of the bravest, most accomplished sailors on the planet:

Webb Chiles... 5 solo circumnavigations, first American to sail around Cape Horn alone, sailed halfway around the world in an 18' open boat... Hardly a timid soul:

And Grant Dalton... 5 Whitbread/Volvo Races, skippered the maxi cat CLUB MED to victory in The Race in 2001, setting the record for the fastest circumnavigation at the time... Managing Director of Team New Zealand, here's what he said after ORACLE's capsize last November:

Again, that's from the man who skippered this 120-footer RTW in 62 days, via the Great Capes and Southern Ocean...

Jon,

Would you not agree that these boats have shifted the paradigm to the point these guys are somewhat out of their experience zone?

Yes, 25 knots on any of our boats is not that big a deal, then again we won't be doing 35-40 knots in that wind.

I think its more accurate to say, turning any sailboat that's doing 35-40 knots is going to be terrifying.

I'm not trying to say I think these boats are SAFE. I'm saying, that racing is dangerous, and racing the fastest, most cutting edge boats against other similar boats is about as dangerous as it gets. I expect these teams will be taking a harder look at what they can do to quickly de-power to reduce the chances of this happening again. NASCAR didn't become as safe as it currently is overnight, and a lot of drivers paid for those safety lessons in blood. What I am saying is, that's the nature of the beast.

I share the opinion that this format is ever going to make AC racing mainstream.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook