SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help pinpointing a leak
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help pinpointing a leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillenme View Post
I made it down and it wasn't good. I waited until 6:00 to measure and after exactly 24 hours we took in exactly 2.5 gallons of water - way beyond by comfort zone...

I dug in a little further into the stringer and was able to pull out the above. Little pieces of glass and chunks of foam core.. The chunks of core are seeping out of the limber hole with the water and collecting in the bilge. Do I have an option besides hauling immediately??
It is all too easy to lose perspective and overreact after taking possession of a new-to-you boat. Install your automatic bilge pump ASAP and determine the source of the leak.

Lots of small bits and pieces can make their way down to the bilge of an older boat. Anytime work is done on the boat, pieces can fall into inaccessible areas. The remnants you see are probably the result of work done on a stanchion base, instrument installation, or some other minor work. I would not be too concerned about the small amount of material in the bilge water. After you locate the source, you should clean out the bilge as best you can so you will be aware of any current problems.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook