SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Jon,

Would you not agree that these boats have shifted the paradigm to the point these guys are somewhat out of their experience zone?

Yes, 25 knots on any of our boats is not that big a deal, then again we won't be doing 35-40 knots in that wind.

I think its more accurate to say, turning any sailboat that's doing 35-40 knots is going to be terrifying.
I don't know, when a guy like Grant Dalton makes such a statement, I'll sit up and take notice... I don't believe these boats are that far out of his "experience zone", after all...

He would have seen similar speeds aboard a boat almost twice as large, on CLUB MED during The Race... Among the mountainous seas of the Southern Ocean, at night, while basically circumnavigating Antarctica... Thousands of miles from land, no team support or rescue boats on scene, the possibility of a quick rescue slim to none, the prospect of a man overboard likely ensuring a fatality...

For him to say that sailing these AC72s in a breeze of 25+ knots in the comparatively protected waters of SF Bay, with instant assistance/rescue/medical treatment close at hand, is "terrifying"... well, considering the source, that speaks volumes, to me...

BTW, for anyone who hasn't read Tim Zimmerman's THE RACE, I recommend it highly - a terrific read...

Amazon.com: The Race: Extreme Sailing and Its Ultimate Event: Nonstop, Round-the-World, No Holds Barred (9780618382705): Tim Zimmermann: Books Amazon.com: The Race: Extreme Sailing and Its Ultimate Event: Nonstop, Round-the-World, No Holds Barred (9780618382705): Tim Zimmermann: Books

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook