SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help pinpointing a leak
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Help pinpointing a leak

Dave,
Have you ever poked around in the area Hillenme describes? The sponginess, and the amount of water, are the two things that have me a little concerned. The amount of water may be as simple as tightening the keel bolts or rebedding them. If the PO says it has been 15-20 years, and the boat was on the hard for 18 months, I'd guess that the bedding compound has finally dried out and given up the ghost. Tweaking the bolts might help as an interim step, and might also give an idea of where the problem lies.

It should also be fairly easy to diagnose where the water is coming from. Wouldn't a few simple chalk lines drawn in the bilge would show whether the water is originating locally or migrating to that area of the bilge?

I can see tightening the bolts while the boat is in the water (being careful not to go overboard), but I would think that if you're rebedding, you might want the keel supported (i.e., to be on the land). Is that the right way to do it?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook