SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post

People can hate Larry Ellison because he's spent millions developing a toy, while praising Matt Rutherford for raising money for a charity- but it just starts to sound like a social agenda more than anything at that point- especially if they were a naysayer until Matt was successful. But when you keep it at the sailing level- there's not a lot of difference- Matt was going to go if it didn't raise 6 dollars- Larry's gonna go if it costs 50 million. The commitment to the challenge is there regardless. Those two guys were going to find or make a way for that trip they were on because they had to.
For the record, I don't "hate" Larry Ellison...

While he does not appear to be a particularly nice man, I certainly respect the remarkable success he has achieved in his life, both in business, and sailing... My primary gripe with him, as with many other American yacht owners of vast wealth, is that he can't be bothered to fly the Stars & Stripes from the stern of his private cruise ship...

I do find it amusing, however, that a man of such impressive accomplishment and station in life, might still have some 'Mine's Bigger' issues to deal with... (grin)

Quote:

Reported to have originally cost of more than $290 million, rumour has it that Rising Sun’s length was extended by some 18m during construction (her project name was LE120, rather indicating an original length of 120m) to ensure she was larger than the 126.2m Octopus belonging to Microsoft’s co-founder, Paul Allen.

Top 100 largest Super Yachts and Luxury Yachts in the world - Boat International

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-15-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook