SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: racing and risk management:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I have already replied to that:"If on one of the accidents someone more dies then the organization will have a safety problem and probably that will lead to some changes on the boats or in the wind conditions they are fit to race".

Regards

Paulo
You can repeat it all you want. It does not make it right.

You don't need to wait for someone to die to determine the level of safety. Do some searching on "Failure Mode and Effects Analysis" and "Safety Pyramid." If you understand safety culture, you will understand the absurdity of waiting for someone to die before determining whether there is a safety problem.

I am not saying that these vessels are too unsafe - I do not have the data for that - so don't go accusing me of being a bathtub sailor. But the data are out there, and if properly analyzed, appropriate changes could be made before another person is killed. In fact, I suspect there is enough data on weather and boat performance from the trials run so far to get a good estimate of how many more sailors would die if none of the current practices are not changed. Hopefully they are doing those calculations and determining acceptable weather conditions for a go-no-go decision right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook