SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: racing and risk management:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Something is just sitting in my stomach poorly. One person dying is not enough to change anything, but two people is. I want to get that, but it really just doesn't sit well.

I think the problem I'm having is it just wasn't totally unexpected that a violent episode could happen on these hulls, therefore, the first should probably be a wake up call. Someone mentioned a death on a Laser. That's more understandably a freak accident, with incredibly low odds.
A deadly accident does not form a pattern. It can be just bad luck. I have seen many accidents like those on the Artemis (even in multihulls with about the same size) without nobody being killed. It does not mean that they cannot be killed, just that is not probable.

In Moto GP racers cab be killed and sometimes they get killed. That is just not frequent and that makes the risk acceptable. Sailing will not be the same, well it is not the same from some years now. Speeds increased dramatically. If someone goes overboard on a VOR 70 doing over 30K in freezing waters the chances of recovering him alive are very slim. In fact that have already happened with tragic results. That's not a reason to limit sailboat speeds or to race in old slower boats.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook