SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

From what I have heard on radio and TV today, seems that the good money is on the reason for the accident being dodgy boat design or structural strength and that the Cup will continue as planned.

When I saw the first pictures of the wreckage it was reasonably easy to assume that the boat broke in half and caused the accident rather than the accident causing the boat to break in half.

As I said in an earlier post, we have watched these boats for some time training in Auckland harbor and even in 10 knots of true wind the boats were doing 20 knots of boat speed.

How many others on this board remember watching the last AC when the Oracle trimaran took down the headsail on an upwind beat because the headsail was slowing the boat down. This is counter-intuitive enough for me to understand that nothing about these boats is normal.

I reckon that if safety is to be enhanced it should be through placing a limit to windspeed. If a boat can do double the true windspeed then sailing it in 30 knots plus with a sail that can't dump wind is a little crazy (IMHO). They should cancel all sailing if the true windspeed exceeds , say, 20 knots.

Anyway, I still can't wait for this racing to begin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook