SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm trying to think of another sport where some major teams and/or high profile professionals are saying their event or sport has become too dangerous.
That would be NASCAR where back in the day they installed restrictor plates to keep the cars under 200MPH. Now they limit a bunch of parameters to keep the speeds down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That's distinct from someone who may think its time to reduce danger they've been accepting all along. This is the case of professionals in the sport saying this new evolution has gone too far too fast, without sufficient engineering around safety.
AC72 crew dogs are the fastest sailors on the planet. They know the risks and wouldn't have it any other way. Hell, if I was 30 years younger, I'd be right there with them begging for a crew slot. These guys have the "right stuff".

As for these boats.... I think they have to tweak some more. AC72s all have engines, not to power the boat but to run the genset which in turn poweres the computer equipment necessary to sail these boats. I think they went a boat too far. I'd like to see multihulls in the America's Cup, but controllable boats which don't require a genset to manage the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook