SailNet Community - View Single Post - A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch
Re: A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k

Hi,

First what do you consider to be a bluewater boat? I'm in the camp that blue water saling is anytime you are more then 24 hours running time from shore. Blue water boats should have minimal cockpits size wise ie deffinately less then 1/4 of overall length.

I'm looking for a coastal boat that will take me from Nova Scotia to the Caribbean by coast hopping down the eastern seaboard. Being a live aboard then having a decent galley is important to me and not one of those god forsaken things tucked into the port or starboard side of the aft cabin. I like the Irwins and Columbia's for their layout. I also like the late 60's to pre 74 years as the hulls were thick and un cored. I also am looking for a shoal keel or full keel with tiller. Important stuff structural integrity and solid spars. I expect to replace the standing and running rigging as well as the electronics. Most boats I have looked at would also require additional tankage for fuel and water and waste. Something else to consider is opening ports. Many coastals don't really have them or enough and they are expensive to replace. There will only be two of us but we are still looking in the 30 to 35 foot range with at least 6 foot 1 of head room.

So my list:
Columbia
Irwin
Bristol *
Tartan
C&C
Pearson ?
Cal ?

The largest open water passage we ever expect to make would be about 300 nm. And I'm not into racing in the least.

c_witch
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook