SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 05-16-2013
JimMcGee

Re: Where are the younger people?

We're missing the obvious. The median income is waaay down in this country and the under 35 crowd has been hit by this disproportionally.

For my generation (I'm 48) you came out of college, bought a house and started a family. A few years later as your career progressed you could start to think about things like motorcycles and sailboats.

Close to 50% of college grads today move back in with their parents because their school loans are the equivalent of a mortgage. For those who don't go to college the days of getting into a union where you could earn a good wage and have benefits are pretty much over.

There are certainly nuances to this, but the underlying economics play a huge role.

Think about it this way. When I was in school we all worked in McDonalds or the mall to earn beer and gas money. Walk into a fast food joint today and it's not kids but adults in their 20's and 30's behind the counter. That tells you a lot. That 30 year old working at McD's certainly isn't thinking about buying a sailboat.

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome