SailNet Community - View Single Post - Idiot lights to gauges and OMG! I hate that Morse dual control down near the deck!??
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Idiot lights to gauges and OMG! I hate that Morse dual control down near the deck!??

I'm looking into replacing the idiot lamps on the key panel with real gauges mounted on the cabin/cockpit bulkhead. I see triple gauge packs having oil pressure, volts and water temp have mechanical connections. My Beta/Kubota has electrical connections for the oil and water. Is it as simple as removing the sensor/switch and plugging in the hardware for the gauge?

The W27 has a Morse two lever engine control mounted at the rear of the stbd side lazzarette bulkhead. I suppose this would be OK if ya sit on the stern/transom seating; but who does that?! My guess is that since they put the key panel on the port side, they figger'd the throttle/gear levers should go opposite? With a near 50 inch tiller, standing or sitting near the cabin bulkhead is preferred; leaving the controls out of reach or a tripping hazard.
I'm considering remounting a set of controls in a more user-friendly position. Any input on alternative mounting points?

TIA,
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook