SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013

bamabratsche is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

I think there are a lot of younger people doing things besides playing video games these days, but those things may not be sailing. Case in point, I spent nearly 2 years in my 20s backpacking around Europe, and I was far from the only person doing it. It wasn't exactly the most common thing to do, but there was never any shortage of other young people around doing the same thing and "living the dream".

Now that I'm in my early 30s, I find that I'm the youngest person in my marina by at least 15 years (not counting powerboats), and my 19-foot Typhoon is the smallest except for maybe one or two on trailers. When I tell people I actually sometimes overnight on it the reaction is pretty skeptical.

I do a lot of camping, and there is always sort of a cultural and age divide between the tent sections and RV sections of the campground, but the sailing world seems to be limited to the RV section. I'm not sure why that is. I do think it has to do with the perception that you have to have a lot of money--most people my age I talk to have this general idea that "a boat" must cost about $100,000, but when I explain that it can easily be done for less than a good used car, and that my monthly expenses are about what most people my age pay for a smartphone plan + cable TV, they start to understand. It is still a very foreign idea to most people though.

Last edited by bamabratsche; 05-16-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook