SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyWren View Post
From this (female) engineer's perspective, acknowledging obstacles (defining the problem) is not always but often the first step in charting a course around them (defining the solution). It's a view that seems to be shared by male colleagues. Depends how big the obstacle is, of course.

A few men I know see male sexism. One colleague is very sensitive to double standards where women appear to get away with behaviour and speech that is not OK from men. Another didn't think sexism was a big deal until he found himself excluded from freelance work for a particular customer because they preferred females. I think he was surprised at his own reaction.

On the other hand ... I asked spouse the other night whether he felt offended by a current beer ad on TV that seems to paint men as bumbling idiots. His response was that he didn't think the ad was aimed at all men, just bumbling idiot beer drinkers.

As far as obsticals I'm referring more to physical ones, sick, injured, tired, cold, etc. not technical issues necessarily. In a work invironment I'm robably referring more to attitude, such as when facing a nearly impossible task but approaching it as if it was doable. Using a sports analogy it would be playing as hard as possible to the last second in spite of being down 50 to zip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook