SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Where are the younger people?

So many variables here. Let me add another I would venture to say there are still plenty of young people sailing, just not necessarily in the area you go to. maybe they are in small trailerable boats, hobie cats, lasers, 22 footers easy to maintain, Many are not interested in living aboard a boat as well.

Many of the young people, however like the rest of us they are raising families, have younger kids so a boat is really a luxury on the list of things you children "need" and come after things like clothes, food, and their activities.

With many young Also so cruising and dropping of the regular grid is just not an option to them, their careers will take a hit. Maybe some have priorities than yours different like helping other people, contributing to society as doctors, nurses, teachers etc. and see that as a greater calling than just taking off into the great wilderness.

These same people when they reach their 50s/ 60s/70 still have the calling to travel and do what you are doing so they go cruising to parts unknown and that's who you are seeing. By that age you have more money and also can afford to put ammentities on your boat as well as get a larger boat.

Understand I am not passing judgment here just stating what I see. Most of the younger people are career oriented or family oriented and their priorities are definitely different.

My wife and I are in our late 50s and looking forward to the day we retire and get to sail in the islands for 5 months a year and on the Chesapeake the other 7 months. me more than her However now we still cruise quite a bit...almost 3000 miles a year if you look in our logbooks. My wife as an example is still working...( my wife is a newborn nurse) and will have a hard time giving that up to go sailing full time as she feels she is helping and contributing to others well being. This may be a choice a lot of people make

Sailing off and cruising is very individual and in a way " me" self directed. Hard to do with children as you are more selfless with your time to them or when you feel you are contributing to society as a whole. Again no value judgment, but most younger people chose a different path than you that's all. In the end you have to balance and do what makes you happy.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook