SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

northoceanbeach: Come to Seattle for a few days, with your boat. Do it whenever, you shouldn't turn around for it.

You'll find plenty of sailors your age (early 30s?) and younger. They are racing dinghies at Shilshole, having fun at Duck Dodge (a beer can/buoy race on Tuesday nights all summer), living aboard in smaller boats, and generally sailing quite a lot. On S dock (boats up to 30') at Shilshole I'd guess that the age demographics roughly match those in the rest of the city, I see people of all ages who keep their boats along mine. My dock neighbor is probably in his late 20s and is often sailing to local destinations every weekend.

I agree with that the costs keep a lot of people from owning boats (both younger and older). Moorage in Seattle for a <30' boat is still $250-$400/mo. The boats aren't expensive, but maintaining them and paying for moorage adds up quickly and you better use the boat to make it worthwhile. These issues are what kept me from getting into sailing until my late 30s (I'm 39), despite being interested in it from my first experience sailing in my teens. I sometimes wish I had pushed into it earlier, but financially I think I did the right thing by waiting. My wife and I don't have kids, which gives us a lot more financial freedom and time.

I'm also a bicycle tourist (a much less expensive way to travel) and even in that pursuit I found that many of the tourists that I met on the road were a lot older than myself. I'm very rare for my age in that I've worked for the same company since college and get a lot of vacation (5 weeks per year now, I started getting 4 weeks per year when I was 28). A lot of my friends can't afford to use even a week of their vacation every year for cruising or touring when they only get 2 or 3 weeks per year.

I really dislike all of the reverse age-ist remarks in this thread implying that people of my generation and younger are lazy. These sorts of remarks have always been made when older generations don't understand younger ones, and they are out of line. For every lazy 20-something today you could have found a similar lazy one in the 40s, 50s, or 60s. For every remarkable young person back then I think you'll find a remarkable one today. The economy is quite different and has shaped things differently, but there are still a lot of great people out there.

Last edited by Alex W; 05-16-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook