SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

I was talking about long term storage plans for my boat with a neighbor- and right now we have the same priorities- cool crowd at the dock, convenience to the ocean, price, and protection- and have essentially decided we will move to the same marina as an insurance policy- knowing there will be someone else to hang out and sail with- or it'll already meet all the criteria- and be the place to be.

It's nice living somewhere that is reasonable enough to get buy on a service industry or retail paycheck- and have plenty to play with...

That said- the dude I just bought my new boat from sold it because he didn't really ever use it- and having it and feeling like he "needed to use it" meant he wasn't using his hobie 16 like he could be...

Also- all that about bicycling and backpacking and the like is true. Lots of younger people are touring on land- which from a value standpoint makes a lot of sense from a "sights seen/new experiences per dollar spent" perspective. Viewed in the light of having 1-2 months to travel a year- sailing a dinghy, or a beach cat year round / season long- that can be stored for "free" is always ready to go, and is easily disposed of and replaced makes so much sense that I'm almost talking myself into it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook