SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

I'm 29 and my wife is 28, the biggest problem we have is getting enough time to go.

I get a lot of vacation compared to most other folks I know, but even still, it's hard to take time off to go cruising beyond a certain distance. We even live in FL and are a short haul to the Bahamas, but if you consider the time it takes to get there plus having some time on either end to sit out wx, you are talking a week just in travel time. Do I really want to sail there just to stay for a day, then turn around and come home? That is a week of vacation right there. What happened to not having a schedule?

You also have to consider that vacation is necessary throughout the year to not go crazy and visit family (they are mutually exclusive and require vacation for both).

The unfortunate reality is that sailing is SLOW and getting to where you want to go while working a normal job is challenging. We can make it work, between my wife being a teacher and my having a really flexible schedule/environment and a lot of vacation, we'll be able to take 3 or 4 weeks and make a trip, but it's a short haul for us to goto interesting spots, folks further north won't have the same luxury, depending on where they want to go. We're fortunate in all those regards, but I know few people in that situation.

It just doesn't work when you have a tight schedule, which most younger folks have. So short of quitting your job, without the ability to telecommute, how do you make it happen with a normal job?

Last edited by Shinook; 05-16-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook