SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
post #42 of Old 05-16-2013
gedaggett

Re: Where are the younger people?

For what it is worth in the discussion: I am 36 years old and have three small children. I started sailing about 5 years ago and had my own boat (mac 2-22) until last fall. I am eagerly anticipating a bigger boat to cruise on. My two older children 4 and 8 love the water and would be on the boat as much as I would take them. I race in beer can races when I can but Cruising is where I would like to be. Now being 36 ad having the equivalent of 2 jobs a wife and Kids there are certain limitations financially and with time. The investment for me to be in a boat that I can cruise here in Chicago would be a $4000.00 per year minimum on top of my initial investment. I am just in a place in life (as are many of my fellow Gen Ex'ers) where affording the hobby of cruising just is not a reality at this time. As I get older and more established in my business and further into my Mortgage then it will likely open up for me. But for now I sail other peoples boats and jump on where and when I can. That for now is my sailing plight. Not that I don't want to it is that I can't

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome