SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
what do you guys say the cost for a big enough boat to coastal cruise and upkeep is per month is?
In Seattle I think my Catalina 25 met about that definition.

Moorage was (and is) $175/mo. That is the cheapest that I've heard of inside Seattle. Haulout + maint (DIY) + consumables about $1500/year. Some years will be cheaper, but they'll be balanced out by ones that cost more. Initial boat investment about $8000 ($3-5000 for the boat, plus money to catch up on deferred maint and making it into the boat that you want). I think you can get the initial investment down lower by being a smarter buyer than I was and finding a $7000 boat that was recently overhauled.

So you need to save about $8000-$10,000 for the first year, and $3500 per year after that. The numbers are similar for almost everyone I know who owns a smaller boat around here.

Jumping to a ~30' boat and being on the sound (saving you 2-3 hours of lock transit time every time you cruise) means twice as much to moorage, at least twice as much in boat purchase cost and maintenance, with the benefit of more comfort.

Last edited by Alex W; 05-16-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook