SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Where are the younger people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
5k is closer to what I was expecting then what some other people say
I think that might be another reason why you don't see more sub-40s people sailing:
The perception of high cost.

Frequently I get asked, "What does it cost to sail?"
My answer has become,
"As much as you have, or as little as you've got, if you REALLY want to sail. if what you really want is a "someday, maybe" dream, then it's more than you can afford. Sailors find a way around the obstacles- dreamers use the obstacles as excuses."

I see a lot of folks sailing the hell out of Siren 17s, Tanzer 22s, Oday Tempests, boats that can be had for less than the cost of a season of golf at a public course.

It really IS a very low cost sport, at the pocket-cruiser end of the spectrum, if you want it to be. I think the best deal in a small boat is a Siren 17- buy one for $2500 on a trailer, sail it for a couple of years, and you can still sell it, and sell it quickly, for $2500. Simple forgiving boats with accomodations for a cozy couple, room for a stove and a pumpout head, the Dock is usually home to 2 or 3 during the season, and the owners often weekend frequently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook