SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compass Location for a Catalina 25
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Compass Location for a Catalina 25

My new compass is smaller than my old one; at a minimum, I'll need to put a StarBoard blank-off over the opening and recut for fit.

That seems like the least work and the location has no metal anywhere close by. I don't like it because it takes up the cockpit fwd bulkhead that my guests like to use as a backrest. Nice to have the old compass gone from there.

I would prefer it be mounted under the companionway. This is a bit more work (in that I still have to seal up the old opening) but the compass light would provide great illumination of the cockpit foot well when night sailing and it would be low enough not to distract the helmsman. I was all set to do it that way until I realized that the galley sink is 13" from that spot and the power panel is just aft of the sink. Is that too close for a compass? The sink is pretty small (as is the whole boat ).

On the cockpit bulkhead opposite the original location (26" above the sink) is a depth sounder that doesn't work and the new chartplotter has a fish/depth 'ducer so it needs to go (I'm sick of hitting my head on it in the cabin). The opening is smaller than needed so it would be an easier job to put the compass there. That spot puts the compass about a foot from the halyard winch on the coachroof. Did I mention that the boat is small? This still takes up a cockpit bulkhead, but there are no perfect solutions.

It seems like Catalina picked/created a pretty good mounting location and I should put it back there.

So that is all the detail. To recap the questions:

Is 13" from a small sink too close for a small compass? (Plastimo Mini Contest)

If that is 'Yes' then the next question is, Is 26" from a small sink too close for a small compass? A foot from a small winch?

Any issues with mounting it under the companionway? I don't think it will get kicked (much); maybe it won't be a visible as I like (because I like my girls with thick ankles! )

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook