SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

My most regular sailing buddy (the one who was halfway up the mast when you met me) has a 3 year old. This year he's doing a week trip in Panama (not on his boat obviously) and they'll be doing a couple of few night trips around the sound. I'm happy with my choice to not have children, but I've also seen enough children on boats to know that it can be done. It does change the financial and time off mix in a way that doesn't favor sailing though.

I love sailing with his child. When he was 2 he came up with the most creative words for nautical things (like "squishing water" for when we're going fast enough to leave a wake). I think he only knows the word "hamburger" as a big flat buoy that sea lions like to sit on. He doesn't always love sailing and is coming to terms with boat heel this year, but I still think I get more out of sailing by sometimes seeing it through the eyes of a 3 year old. I look forward to when he is a few years older and is ready to help out and be part of the sailing.