SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
Minnewaska & Casey - I did not say that there should not be a root cause analysis; and some mitigation of risk. But to say that the entire AC72 fleet should be scrapped is a bit extreme don't you think?

I'd say that the boats should sail in less wind (like in the previous AC monohull events) but it's rare that the winds are lower than 25kts in the summer afternoons here on SF Bay. There have been days where Oracle did their practice sail on the South side of the SF Bay Bridge, likely because wind conditions were too high on the central bay; and we are still early in the sailing season here.

I don't really see much difference between an AC-72 flipping over or the larger offshore racing cats that have done so out in the middle of the ocean somewhere. At least these boats have trained rescue crews on chase boats. A 40' fall into water would not be fatal but falling against the wing sail could be. Spithill broke ribs when the 45 tipped over; so I'd assume injuries could be worse if someone fell onto the wing of the 72's. Tethers could be another safety consideration; but I don't think someone sailing a boat that has the potential to flip over would want to be clipped to it either.
1. After a complete review, then it could be decide if the AC 72's should be scrapped all together.

2. I would rather see a boat design that can handle any wind strength below say 45 knots. That is just my opinion. But to me a boat should be able to handle high winds.

3. My opinion is the AC should not be as risky of a race as say an open ocean around the world race. I think the risk of death in the AC should be a very remote possibility. I see the AC more of like an olympic compition of down hill ski racing where risk of death is not a high probability, although they are pressing the limit of people and equipment.

4.You say a 40 foot fall (into water) would not be fatal. I would say it may not be fatal, but it might. Say you land flat or head first, then a good chance you will go unconsious and drown. Problem with teathers, now, because of height we would be looking at OSHA type fall protection: max 6 foot tether, body harness, shock absorbing lanyard- on a boat that just won't work.

Last edited by casey1999; 05-16-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook