SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Where are the younger people?

Me to lazy today to read all the post but I wanted to comment...

I feel very fortunate that we are able to sail, especially with the boat we have. Considering all the other expenses we have, mortgage, child care, etc etc. For example, for the past 8 years we have spent on average around $20,000 per year just on child care (and to think I thought it would be less when they went to school? HA!) $160,000 would buy a real nice boat

There are a lot of generalizations being made in this thread about the younger generations...I think its what you old farts do? I will probably will too someday, if not already Just the other day at the club it took all my will power not to jump into a conversation about this very topic. The generalizations were so over inflated I just had to start laughing. I chose not to engage them since I am the new kid on the block but it was entertaining to say the least.

I have discussed the lifestyle that Brian/Crusingdad embraces and lives a few times and its discussed often with my wife. I would do it now but she is not ready, I try not to hold that against her I grew up around boats and the bay, its always been a part of my life and I want to share in those memories and experiences with my children. We are fortunate that they love sailing and all things related to the boat, abet some readjustment since we were 100% land lubbers for the past two years. They seem to be pretty much right back into the swing of things so to speak.

The news that Sabre is stopping production of sailboats is a statement and sad because they are truly works of art. My guess though is they have not diversified themselves enough and IIRCC they only produce two models? Unlike a similar brand, Tartan who is now producing 7 models ranging from a true day sailer called the Fantail in three different configurations to their flagship model, the 5300. Sabre hasn't released a newly designed model in how many years? So if you look at it from that perspective its really not that surprising to me.

Back on topic...

How well does the sailing industry advertise itself? I would say not well at all. Add to that, its expensive operate with little income to support it, plus how many high schools and or colleges around the country could or have sailing programs...and ask them to stand up to the income sports like Football...no way.

No doubt there are less young people sailing, or boating in general exception being a small runabout or jet ski. Too expensive!

I'm just rambling because I don't want to grade final exams!

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-16-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook