SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

I tell people I sail and they look at me like I have two heads. It is just something that 99% of the population will never be exposed to. If that sounds wrong to you, then perhaps you live within a few miles of the coast which makes you different than 99% of the population.

I grew up on the water. I've been in boats as long as I've had memories. But even growing up in southern Virginia, I didn't know anybody that sailed. I spent most of my time on lakes and on the James River, and that's not fit to sail any farther inland than Williamsburg / Jamestown. Even then ship/tug/barge traffic is likely to run you down in such a restrictive waterway. Let's just say you will spend a lot of time as the give-way vessel.

The one time I had been on a sailboat, I was 9 years old and I got a ride on a sunfish across the lake and back. That was also the last opportunity I had until I went out purposefully looking to take sailing lessons as an adult.

Why is sailing as a whole not mainstream? The truth is you can get a loan for a speedboat fairly easily. A decent, almost brand new powerboat can be had for the price of a car. You can't touch anything with sails on it that the bank will finance in that price range, and yes- most of the population finances. (stupid or not, that's how every redneck I knew had a truck and a bass boat).

A $15K sailboat is probably 30 years old. Almost nobody will be able to finance that. A $15K bass boat / ski boat / cabin cruiser is probably a few years old and can be had *today* by driving to any boat dealer in town.

You have to WANT to sail. It's easy to start believing everyone sails if you spend a lot of time in marinas full of sailboats, but for every sailboat in a marina there are 5,000 bass boats parked in driveways.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 05-16-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook