SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Ahoy. folks.

First, let me extend my sincere apologies to those whom I've left in the lurch -- I should have let everyone know that I was dropping off the net for a little while.

Bottom Line: I will conclude this story complete with (ahem...) cost data, so don't give up hope.

Here's the deal: Now that we're dirt dwellers once again and the weather started to warm a bit, I began to tackle a few "simple homeowner maintenance chores." As a somewhat conscientious older boat owner, I should have known that those words in the quotation marks rarely go together.

I discovered a small leak at our front door. I grabbed a tube of caulk and a putty knife, and figured it'd be a 15 minute fix.

Boy, was I wrong.

As I was digging out the old caulk, I noticed the jamb was soft. Doing some exploratory surgery with the putty knife, I soon realized that painters over the years (while I had the house on the rental market) had applied PVC caps over what they had apparently also noticed as soft wood. All this did was trap water in the wood, and to make a long story short, I've got a new prehung door with sidelights on order.

If the pain ended there, it wouldn't be so bad.

The water that was coming down the wood fibers of the jamb also rotted out the sub sill (another WTF discovery -- the builders used 3/4 OSB on the concrete slab to elevate the door sill to clear the oak flooring; who in their right mind would have used OSB?)

The mission creep continued. The hardwood floor adhesive was beginning to fail, so I tore the floor up in the foyer and am now prepping for porcelain tiles. Getting all the adhesive off the slab was way, WAY too similar to scraping bottom pant for my liking. I still need to hit the slab with a diamond cup to get the remnants off and to roughen up the surface so the thinset will bond well and I won't be faced with tiles popping up too soon.

So, once again, apologies extended and I promise to wrap this tale up once the home project gets put to bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook