SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
So if we did a TRC on deaths in Formula 1 car racing in the 1950's 60's and 70' and compared it with deaths in ordinary 4 wheeled passenger vehicles over the same period and compared the rates ???

The F1 fraternity would not have been able to make their sport safer because it would have been banned.

General Motors alone over the last 50 years have produced many hundreds of millions of cars so world production must be into several billion if all car makers are counted compared to several thousand F1 cars over the years. (Statistical fact: GM produced its 100 millionth small block V8 about 8 months ago)

In a motoring TV program in the UK (Top Gear), ordinary drivers took ordinary "super cars" (McClaren F1, Lamborghini) around a popular European race track and recorded higher speeds than F1 cars. So the safety measures taken in F1 to reduce deaths has really worked

I am not going to do hours of research to prove this point but I would be willing to bet on the fact that the TRC process outlined would see an immediate end to Formula 1.

On the day that the international community puts yacht racing under the control of OSH, yacht racing world-wide will end because then it will no longer be any fun and that is the primary reason why people do it.

As always, just my opinion(s).
Let me repeat again: I NEVER SUGGESTED THAT OSHA TAKE CONTROL OF RACING. I am only pointing out that their methodology of calculating risk and incidents provides useful statistical data upon which rational conclusions can be made, instead of some of the silly ideological rhetoric that I am hearing here.

As for your fears that the statistics would be so damning that they would bring about the death of F1, AC72 or any other extreme endeavor, I can only say:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook